Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Perfect Christmas Tree

Not all families are created equal and neither are Christmas Trees.  We have never had a very tall tree because it never suited our homes and I have always had artificial trees to reduce the extra care and mess. This is personal preference.

When the kids were toddlers we places a 3' tree on the buffet.  By the time they were older, we lived in a house with a window seat in a very large bay window that begged for a 4' tree.  Our next move was after the kids were grown and moved out for the most part.  I wasn't really interested in continuing with a tree until I was reminded the grandchildren would expect one. 

My new living room was smaller and the only logical place for a tree was on a card table that we placed over a trunk in front of the window.  With a 4' tree on the table, it looked like a 7' tree and filled the window and our 9' ceilings nicely even from the outside.  So I have never had to decorate a large tree. 

As the years passed, my husband and I got older and I was becoming an expert at purging belongings, so we decided to move all the Christmas bins permanently out of the attic and into the garage.  I scaledd down to 2 bins and a tree. Since I have a brown thumb and have always mixed fake and real plants around the window in my home, I decided it was time to add the 4' spruce to my collection (without the decorations).  Now I always have a little tree in my living room on the floor along with other plants.  It is good at blending in with the rest of my "eclectic" decor.  (The politically correct description.)

After Thanksgiving, the card table is put over the trunk and covered with a green sheet, the tree is placed on the table, and it is decorated.  The amount of time and space saved is great.  It really is the perfect Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment